Friday, July 19, 2019

Recent Landscape Activity

7/27/19  

Rockin' it Pein-air 

A quick dash up the Turquoise Trail to some rocks I have been scouting.

I stood in full sunlight as was the pallet and art panel.










______________________________________

7/21/19  

Dralorint: verb,  Dra-lor'-int. 

Pertaining to landscape painting: simultaneous action of drawing on a canvas with a close proximation of a desired color applied with a paint brush to canvas in the hope of not globing on gobs of muck that no sane person would recognize as the rendition intended.
Today's efforts. The silly wordplay above loosely describes the mindset I went out with today to paint. This go I was more focused on getting color on the brush and then drawing as opposed to a more blocking in approach where soft vague shapes are then refined. I feel as if I did not get as lost in the inevitable gobs of muck that would stop me from continuing in previous attempts. 











______________________________________________________________________________

7/19/19   

A Little Digital on the Side Please  

Studio work on a plein air painting from last year. Began some shadow work to background but when I got to the foreground trees I just could not see it from the forest so I thought to bring a pic of it into an iPad APP so as to define it without mucking up the painting surface.

Original plein air work



Same panel with work done to all areas except foreground trees and sky.  I simplified the composition by removing the mid-ground clump of trees that originally held my attention but created dule initial focus points (artist license 
PSA-1978-0369).

iPad file with original image layer lightened. I drew on another layer in red to define foreground tree structures and added some shadow definition to be added.  These additions will locate the foreground trees creating more depth.


(more to come)



___________________________________________________________________________

7/15/19   


Size did not matter 

Two recent plain'air pieces done nearby in the Cibola National Forest. I was concerned that working small would prove difficult but was so encouraged by these that I put together a field pack to use for outdoor work (see below). I'll have a go at revising these two so as to get my studio painting gear in order and post the progress.

8x10 on tinted gessoed panel.
























8x10 on tinted gessoed panel.
































The field pack packed and deployed.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Memory Matters

"Signposts on the Way to What May be" Robert Henri "The development of the power of seeing and the power to retain in the...